Friday, August 1, 2008

Luke 9:25

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?
- Luke 9:25

I'm trying my best not to put 2 Bible verses in a row... But I read this "accidentally" while doing my Bible Study today, and it doesn't take much to see how generic this verse actually is.

I was sharing with Yongkai and KT the other day: now that we are working, what else are we doing with our lives?

Surely we have to do something, right? Or else our life will just be full on monetary pursuits and fretting over our jobs and careers, mean bosses and that nifty little gadget (for gentlemen) or that awesome (insert favourite brand) handbag (for the ladies)...

For me, I chose to do more with my spiritual and social life. Over the past years, I've done a fair bit of volunteering, cooped up with studies (not that I did very well in school), and am now in the workforce.

Just like in proper asset allocation (sorry, 职业病), it is always advisable to diversify our assets across multiple asset classes (ya-da-ya-da). For the layman, the previous sentence means "Don't put your eggs in 1 basket".

Life is so vast, with so many things to do. We're young, energetic, eager to see the world and experience what it has to offer. Why then are many people just being cooped up in a narrow view to earn money? But there's also a Chinese saying that goes "钱不是万能,但没有钱却是万万不能" (translation: money isn't everything, but money is also a necessity).

How far will you go before you start to be afraid of losing your soul? Or will you simply sink into the abyss without knowing it at all?

No comments: