Thursday, August 7, 2008

"I'm building my city people, on rock 'n' roll!"

By: Arthur (Justin Timberlake in "Shrek The Third")

OK, this is something not many people know: I like Dreamworks and Pixar animations. In fact, I got most of their movies on DVD (yes, including Shrek The Third). For Dreamworks, my favourites are Shrek and Madagascar (to be precise, only the Penguins!). For Pixar, basically ALL except for "Cars" and "A Bug's Life". The crappy thing is "Cars" is the second movie after "Toy Story" to have a sequel.

Now I won't say this is a very fantastic quote, but basically an opening for Rock 'N Roll! Haha! Been into retro + Rock&Roll music recently. It started with "Paradise City" (Guns N Roses), then suddenly at my colleague's wedding on Saturday, my table was talking about the oldies, and my manager wrote me a list of oldies songs to search for, so that's where hits like "Together Forever" (Rick Astley) and "Love in the First Degree" (Bananarama) came up!

I don't really like modern English songs. I don't like the lyrics, neither can you even hear the lyrics properly. Somehow, I think all of us have an affiliation with the songs that we grew up with. I heard many of these retro hits when I was a small boy, waaaaayyyyyy before MOST of you knew me.

One of the conclusions we arrived at that table was that when you reach a certain age, your taste in music is confined, boxed-up. We won't really listen to new songs as openly as before, but rather, we won't mind just replaying "the good stuff", which is based a lot on the era which we grew up, and our own personal preferences. That's where our MP3 players are just filled with that range of songs.

And very soon, we'll find our "good stuff" playing on Gold90.5 / Capital 95.8

To end off, bringing things back to full circle: Hands up, who wants a sequel to "The Incredibles" instead of "Cars II"?

No comments: