Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Life is but a dream"

By: Eliphalet Oram Lyte (credited) in the song "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"

I bet many of you didn't link this common phrase to one of the first songs we learned to sing in our lives, but maybe that's where the line many people commonly use is planted in us.

But first of all, Happy 43rd Birthday to Singapore!
A job well done to all RCY volunteers who participated, as well to every other participant. I thought the whole thing was much better than last year's (when I was involved), and definitely spectacular. I think the impressive fireworks display must have been due to some pressure from a slightly earlier celebration, which brings me to...

Congratulations to Beijing on a smooth Opening Ceremony for the 2008 Olympic Games!
Source: Mangalorean.com
I rushed home after my meeting to watch it. Definitely a grand spectacle, and their fireworks is fantastic! I have never seen such a wide area of fireworks before, not to mention the continuous bursts! I almost thought that a single salvo is equivalent to our entire NDP fireworks budget, but thankfully, this year's NDP ExCo failed to make my statement true.

So anyway, back to the topic: Life is but a dream. Sometimes we do feel that way, don't we? For better or worse, in happiness and sadness (OK, that's maybe a nightmare instead), joy and sorrow...

Some people take life to be like a dream, just cruising by and not paying much attention to things happening around them. Others take life to be a dream that gives them the opportunity to achieve, to be what they want to be. Yet there are also others who literally dream through life, dreaming about the people they could have become, the things they could have achieved...

Each of us differs in our opinion of this line. There are some who outright say that life is NOT a dream, even many times in the movies. And there are those who are like me, people who feel that Life is the dream where you make things happen, where you define the boundaries and the limits of your own potential, where you are able to determine the extent to which you can make a difference.

What sort of dream do you want your life to be?

No comments: