Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Like fireworks, this universe is a celebration..."

"Everything is created from moment to moment, always new. Like fireworks, this universe is a celebration and you are the spectator contemplating the eternal Fourth of July of your absolute splendor."
By: Francis Lucille

I thought this is a good quote for now. Indeed, fireworks is a major form of celebration, and I have had the wonderful opportunity of seeing 2 magnificent fireworks displays again.

First-off is the Closing Ceremony for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Once again, China has proven that they will not go out without a bang, which also reminds me of another wonderful quote from the movie "Independence Day", but that's another time. The fireworks was nothing short of spectacular and jaw-dropping! It's really recent, so I doubt I can find the pictures to prove it, but I think you will be seeing it shortly.

Indeed, the Olympics is a celebration of human ability. This Games, we have seen wonderful athletes like Usain Bolt and the greatest Olympiad thus far, Michael Phelps. It has also seen many world and Olympic records broken, as mentioned by IOC President Jacque Rogges. Of course, we Singaporeans will also remember this as the Games where we won our second Olympic medal, our first one post-independence! Once again, congratulations to Team Singapore!

Secondly, this happened yesterday. Unless you haven't been reading the newspapers, and your friends are really not speaking to you, and you might even be one of those staking out near Marina Bay trying to catch a glimpse of the show, I'm talking about the Singapore Fireworks Celebrations 2008!

Source: Me

This was the performance by the South Korean team. The French team was performing on Friday, and I somehow thought that would have been better, but the tickets I got (Thanks Dad!) were for Saturday's show, and I can't really complain. It's still better than nothing.

I've always loved fireworks, so I guess that makes me more normal, like the rest of you, haha! It could be the explosions, the bright colors in the night sky, the amazement of the patterns, the choreography, or maybe everything added together.

But one thing I've noticed, choreography seems to be an optional package, especially for our NDPs! Haha! I've seen extremely well-choreographed displays, like Hong Kong Disneyland and previous Fireworks Celebrations/Festivals, and I still think that NDP has much to learn. Maybe it's the budget... it's ALWAYS about the budget...

But enough talk for now, on with the show:
Link: My Photobucket Album

It was still drizzling then the display started, and thanks to the combination of water and soot from the gunpowder explosion, the rain turned black... yes... BLACK RAIN! Didn't help that I was wearing a WHITE tee... glad my mini-umbrella came in useful! Haha!

However, in my opinion, I still felt that last year's display by China was much better! Somehow the Korean display lacked the grandeur, or the multi-bursts and simultaneous flashes that never fails to awe. To prove my point, here's one picture from last year's:
It's a little blur, but you can see the rest of it here:

I actually have more to write, but maybe next time, yes?

No comments: