Sunday, August 3, 2008

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

By: Darth Vader (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope)

(Cue "The Imperial March")
Well well well... One of the most famous villains of all time (ranked No.3 in AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains). Movie fan or not, you're bound to have heard who this "asthmatic" guy in the black suit and the flowing cape is.



Of course, this line can sometimes be heard from religious zealots, but let's not go there, shall we? :D

I think most people will be mesmerised by this character. In the History Channel documentary "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed", Film critic Elvis Mitchell has this to say about the character of Darth Vader:

"He owned everything.Everybody was afraid of him. What kid isn't seduced by the idea of COMPLETE fearlessness?"

I think everyone's thrilled by the idea that we can do things and not give a damn about what other people think. This thought is probably just as thrilling as being able to go back in time and change something. Very much like a childhood fantasy that all of us had at some point or other.

Underneath that simple line, the message is conveyed: "I don't care what you think, I just don't like it and I'm going to let you KNOW I don't like it."

Don't you want the opportunity to say/do something without fearing the consequences?

No comments: