Thursday, July 31, 2008

"When the pupil is ready to learn, the teacher will appear"

By: Anonymous

Those of you who have me on Facebook might probably have noticed that my list of Favourite Quotes is very long. Too long... yet not enough space for me! Cos the quotes that I love are wayyyy too many! So I aim to cut down the quotes on Facebook, rather, I'll post a link in that section to this blog!

I came across this quote while reading a book on financial planning. As with many aspects of financial planning, people don't listen! We only like to hear the latest buzz on how to make money by playing stocks & shares, but we refuse to think of our other financial needs such as insurance, cash flow and loan financing. But that's for another time...

When we think of "teacher", I guess most people of Chinese heritage will think of this guy:


Or maybe something a bit more casual?

(PS: This guy is Confucius, for the uninformed)

My take on this quote is that we need to open our hearts. Only when the heart is open, then our ears will be open too. Many times we are told many things, but there are times when we simply refuse to listen, like when our parents nag at us, or when a Citibank guy asks you to sign up for their latest credit card, or even when our lecturers just drone on and on... and we find ourselves "played out" in the exams! Haha!

Only when we are seeking someone/something, then we will have the thirst, and only then will this "teacher" appear and we will be willing to listen.

So we know that we need to open our hearts, but have you thought about how can you be a TEACHER to someone else instead?

No comments: