Sunday, October 19, 2008

China-Macau-Hong Kong Trip 2008 - Day One (7th Oct 2008)

Yes! I finally have some time to blog about the trip! I know it's long overdue, but better late than never, I suppose?

It all began early on a Tuesday morning. Suited up (literally... coat & tie) then went to Changi Airport. My first flight out of the new Terminal 3! All-new experience waiting for me. I was told not to eat breakfast at home, and for good reason too.

Breakfast's provided

A glimpse of the new T3

That's the plane that carried me to Hong Kong International, a Boeing 777-200ER

This was the reason why I had free breakfast... not to forget a delicious brunch on-board... as well as a very comfortable seat... and the stewardess addressing me by name... and... well, you get the picture.

I actually paid for the ticket, just that I used my KrisFlyer points for the upgrade. It was a bit of a waste though, I thought I could experience the new Business-Class with the ultra-wide seat, this turned out to be the older Business-Class seat... yes, I've flown Business-Class before too.

We landed at Hong Kong International Airport around 1.30pm, following which we were immediately chaperoned to lunch at the airport by Mr. Yau, my Dad's business friend (and family friend already, as it is) in Hong Kong. From here on, the hospitality is only going to increase.

To put it simply, food is never an issue. Hunger is never an issue. Eating is always on the minds of our hosts and eating GOOD FOOD is the key aim. Let's just say my hosts kept giving us food, and when you take 1 morsel from your plate, they'll top it up with 3 more. You get the idea...

After lunch, as well as a short lesson on Chinese history and culture, Mr. Yau and his driver drove us across the border into Shenzhen, China. That's where we visited a place which many of you may have seen, but don't really know where it is: Window of the World (世界之窗)


This is actually my parting shot, but I put this here to show you the entrance.

Yes, you thought you saw something in the 1st pic, right? Yup, this is the replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Not as high as the real one, but still impressive enough.

A view from standing under the "Eiffel Tower"

Climbing all the way to the mid-section, it's quite a good view of the park. That's the replica of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. I loved the water cannon though.

This is the model of Angkor Wat in Cambodia

They even put miniature figures on the building to add to the flavour

Another easy one: The Leaning Tower of Pisa

The Taj Mahal

Yes, even the Great Pyramids of Egypt, which you can visit inside

Yup, I managed to lose the jacket and the tie, but no chance for a change of clothes. Mr Yau didn't accompany us in, so we could lose the formalities

Uhh... quite obvious, right? Maybe they should have added a giant alien saucer above it ala Independence Day... Haha!

St Peter's Basilica in The Vatican City

Lo and behold! Guess we have something to contribute to the great monuments of the world! 1:1 scale somemore!

And yes, it's quite rewarding to stay till night time. The sky became dark at around 6pm because the days are getting shorter now. And this was taken without a tripod.

We stayed for a cultural performance afterward. It was rather good too, but it was a long day. By the time we got out and checked into the hotel, it was almost 10pm! However, I think that this is a wonderful place to visit. Lots of miniatures and definitely awe-inspiring because the park is sooooooo big! You can go to my Photobucket (Link's at the bottom) to see the other miniatures there. Time to get some dinner and then off to bed!

Of course, another parting shot of the entrance!

So we got onto the company van (Dad's company's factory van in Shenzhen) and we went to our hotel, Goodview Hotel, in Dongguan. About an hour's drive from Shenzhen... *stomach rumbling*

It was late when we got there, so I obviously didn't have time (nor energy) to take photos of the hotel then. We dumped the luggage and yes, DINNER!!!
My first taste of food prices in China: This huge cheeseburger costs $12 in a 5-star hotel. It somehow looks smaller in the picture though...

Time to hit the sack! Long way ahead tomorrow!

Photobucket: Window of the World (世界之窗), Shenzhen (深圳)

No comments: